Dear North Zone Physician,
The North Zone Medical Staff Association (NZMSA) was incorporated May 2017 and the process for electing one representative from each of the 10 North Zone Areas to form the Council of the Society has been completed. Next steps include the scheduling of the inaugural Council meeting at which the election of the Executive will take place. As physicians in the North Zone you will continue to receive updates about the NZMSA as the Council and Executive move forward.
The Area Representatives are listed below:
DR. JENNIFER PARKER
DR. MATTHYS DE KOCK
DR. DAVID MILLER
DR. CRAIG HODGSON
DR. JOHANNES FOURIE
DR. FOUAD MAJEED
DR. LEON BURGER
DR. KEEVE DE VILLIERS
DR. RICHARD BEEKMAN
DR. GENE VITUG
What is your Zone Medical Staff Associations and how does it work for you?
ZMSAs are the regional mechanism for support for practitioners with medical staff appointments. Your ZMSA is your advocate for matters related to Medical Leadership Structure, Medical Staff Appointments, Clinical Privileges, Responsibilities and Accountability, Periodic Reviews, and Concerns. All physicians practising within your zone are eligible to become members of your local ZMSA. You do not have to have an appointment with Alberta Health Services (AHS). ZMSAs are equitably funded and supported (financial, in kind and central administrative support) by the AMA and AHS, but remain independent of either organization. ZMSAs are truly grass roots organizations that exist to represent all physicians. Each ZMSA has an executive committee – who are either elected or appointed – committed to ensuring local physician issues are acknowledged.
ZMSAs are actively involved in:
- Gathering advice from zone physicians and advocating on local and zone issues
- Meetings with Zone Medical Directors
- AMA’s Council of Zone Leaders (a provincial forum for all ZMSA presidents)
- Bylaws-mandated AHS committees, both Zone and provincial
- A joint AMA-AHS Provincial Liaison Forum
- Leading the local Zonal Advisory Forum (ZAF), designed to provide the ZMSA, the AMA and AHS with a collective perspective from practising physicians about local and provincial issues.
If you have any questions about the the council or the value of your ZMSA, please contact Adrienne Wanhill in the ZMSA support office at 403.205.2093 or by email at Adrienne.Wanhill@albertadoctors.org.