Dear North Zone Physician,
The North Zone Medical Staff Association was recently incorporated and we must now undertake the process of electing one representative from each of the 10 North Zone Areas to form the Council of the Society. The first step in that process is to undertake a call for nominations. If more than one person is nominated from a particular Area there will be a vote in that Area.
Attached is the nomination form which includes a description of the responsibilities of the council and the process for nominating someone from your Area. A map of the ten North Zone Areas is attached if you’re not sure which Area you are in. If you have any questions about the nomination process, the council or the value of your ZMSA, please contact Adrienne Wanhill in the ZMSA support office at 403.205.2093 or by email at Adrienne.Wanhill@albertadoctors.org.
What is your Zone Medical Staff Associations and how does it work for you?
ZMSAs are the regional mechanism for support for practitioners with medical staff appointments. Your ZMSA is your advocate for matters related to Medical Leadership Structure, Medical Staff Appointments, Clinical Privileges, Responsibilities and Accountability, Periodic Reviews, and Concerns. All physicians practising within your zone are eligible to become members of your local ZMSA. You do not have to have an appointment with Alberta Health Services (AHS). ZMSAs are equitably funded and supported (financial, in kind and central administrative support) by the AMA and AHS, but remain independent of either organization. ZMSAs are truly grass roots organizations that exist to represent all physicians. Each ZMSA has an executive committee – who are either elected or appointed – committed to ensuring local physician issues are acknowledged.
ZMSAs are actively involved in:
- Gathering advice from zone physicians and advocating on local and zone issues
- Meetings with Zone Medical Directors
- AMA’s Council of Zone Leaders (a provincial forum for all ZMSA presidents)
- Bylaws-mandated AHS committees, both Zone and provincial
- A joint AMA-AHS Provincial Liaison Forum
- Leading the local Zonal Advisory Forum (ZAF), designed to provide the ZMSA, the AMA and AHS with a collective perspective from practising physicians about local and provincial issues.